Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Kingsport Town Center Is an Epicenter of Depression & Terrible Customer Service

Sorry, I couldn't think of a shorter or more clever title for this article without losing the point of it all.  For anyone that is lives in this small corner of the world, you probably are familiar with what I (and almost everyone I know) refer to as the Fort Henry Mall.  I refuse to call it anything else because for nearly all of my life it has been named that but in 2008 it was all supposed to change.  In 2008, a huge (for our area) announcement was made that the Fort Henry Mall was going to henceforth be known as the Kingsport
Yeah, this is really it.  Doesn't it look like
the epitome of hip and fun?
Town Center and some major changes were on the way.  Promises of an actual food court, expanded and newer stores, a bowling alley, skating rink, and a Unicorn were all made but 5 years later, the place is more depressing and boring than it was when it was just an empty lot back in 1975.  It seems that every major store or eatery has left the building in those 5 years since the announcement.  Every time that I go to this sad hull of economic depression it seems that something else is missing or something has closed.  It's like a really terrible surprise when you step foot through the same exact dirty glass doors onto the cracked tile and stained carpet that has been there probably since the early 80's.  When things first started closing down like the Chik-Fil-A and Radioshack, I expected that they would promptly be replaced with something better.  Instead the Radioshack has practically been boarded up and the old Chik-Fil-A has had a series of independent restaurant disasters.  Nothing got better, it got worse.  The actual number of stores is probably half of what it was 5 years ago...and then the movie theater closed.  What is the point?

I say all this because it is now a terrible, terrible place.  It's almost like the souls of the deceased failed businesses that have came through have seeped into the embodiment of remaining employees of the mall.  My wife still goes to the FHM for certain things like getting her nails done or getting her make-up, and sometimes I tag along.  Tonight was one of those nights.  She asked me if I wanted to take our kids to eat in one of the two remaining "restaurants" of the mall while she got her pedicure.  Not wanting to cook nor clean it up, I said "sure".  Now on the lower level of the "mall" is a "restaurant" called Piccadilly.  No, it is not the storied street and social center in London, no it is actually a dingy, dark, low-quality, over-priced cafeteria that employees the most hateful, disgruntled, fuzzy-headed women in the greater Tri-Cities area.  "Why in God's name would you go there?" you may be asking.  Well, I don't have any answers that I can be proud of nor find valid.  Since my wife was getting her nails done directly across from us, I just thought it was sensible.  We arrived at the below-school-quality-cafeteria at about 7:45 and grabbed a tray to go through line and have our slop distributed to us.  We were quickly informed that they closed at 8pm but that they would still serve us by a portly, grease woman.  How very kind I thought, they are open for another 15 minutes and have all of this food available and they are still going to serve us?  As we trudged through the line, my kids were repeatedly told by the serving wench what they couldn't have.  Keep in mind they were closing in 15 minutes and whatever isn't sold is thrown out, but we still have Kim Jong-Il of the cafeteria telling the kids what couldn't be served on a kids meal.  Two of my kids wanted fried chicken, Jong-Il informed them that
What eating at Piccadilly feels like
they were allowed to have two chicken legs with their meal.  There was only one chicken leg left along with 2 thighs and about 6 or 7 chicken breasts.  Server Jong-Il gave my first child the leg and thigh after much debate with Manager Hitler and told my second child that he could only have the remaining thigh.  Perplexed, I asked Hitler if he could just get one breast instead.  "No!!  Breasts don't go on the kid's meal, sir" she replied.  I could tell it was about to get stupid and I thought I might as well play along.  "Aren't you all getting ready to close anyway?  Do you think it's really going to make a difference?" I asked.  "Yes, we can't do that.  What do you want for your sides, sir?" Jong-Il replied.  She brushed my stupid, illogical question off and was ready to move along.  Every item that we asked for was a problem and a standoff.  Since I so stupidly got hush-puppies with my frozen fish, I was not allowed to have a nice, hot dinner roll.  "It'll be $1.50 extra" Jong-Il informed me.  No, I'm not giving you any more money than I'm already obligated to give at this point I told her.  My kids stupidly chose the wrong cup size for their kids
Our Server Jong-Il
meal and instead of calling it square, Server Jong-Il told them to pour out the drinks that they had, and go back and get the smaller kiddie cups.  I asked her if that sounded logical to her, and she didn't appear to understand the question based upon the dumbfounded look upon her face.  When the kids returned from trading in their washable, reusable 18 oz. plastic cups for the non-biodegradable 10 oz. Styrofoam cups, both Jong-Il and Hitler seemed pleased and rang up our slop for $19.11.  I don't think I really need to tell you, dear reader, how terrible the food was but I'll give a quick mental picture.  Imagine a child going to a really impoverished school and they are an hour late for lunch and the cafeteria worker gives him the barely warmed-over leftovers scraped from the pans.  Now imagine being jealous of that.  That is the level of food we are dealing with here. One last kicker about the whole Picadilly experience, refills on drinks were free.

Now as we are dejectedly getting up to leave we have to pass by the slop line and I noticed that the chicken breasts that my son couldn't have and the nice warm roll that I couldn't have were both being tossed into a giant industrial sized garbage can along with all the other uneaten food.  Now I don't feel that we were necessarily entitled to said food but to waste it with such gusto really irritated me.  Greasy Server Jong-Il couldn't just take one of her sausage hands and give my kid a freaking chicken breast because it didn't go with the meal but yet she can shovel it into a garbage can?  I can get over that, I can forgive that but the pure fact that they were wasting this terrible food was ridiculous.  But I will expound on that a little bit more in a moment.

So we've left the pig trough and told my wife about the traumatic dining experience and informed her that she would unfortunately not be able to enjoy the same food we did since they were now closed and all the food was in the garbage.  She looked relived and instead went and got a sandwich from a Italian Village.  I have zero bad things to say about Italian Village.  They are great and far too good to be lumped into this shell of broken dreams know as the Kingsport Town Center.  Anyway, the kids belly's were not quite satisfied so we made our way to the American Cookie Company for some sweet treats.  At this time it was about 8:58 or so but not quite on the 9:00 closed down time.  I approached the fully-lit, fully-stocked with cookies, counter and before I could get a word out of my mouth the 19 year old douche-canoe told me that he had
My suggestion for their new logo
already closed the register.  I sadly looked at all the delicious cookies, cookie cake, and brownies as did my kids but I understand once you close down your register it's kind of a pain in the ass.  I didn't argue even though it was still not quite 9:00 and I politely said, "ok".  We sat down not 15 feet from the cookie joint and watched the little douche-canoe chat up some girls and casually clean up.  As my wife was finishing her sandwich, I noticed they too were actually taking these delicious, sinful little treats and dumping them by the piles into a similar trash can as I had seen earlier.  My youngest son saw this too and asked if maybe they would let them have one before they threw them out.  So I took my six year old by the hand up to the counter and once again before I could get a word out, douche-canoe interjected.  "We can't give you any.  It's against the rules.  We can't even hand you one."  That seemed a little redundant to me but whatever.  I asked him, "don't you think that this is the least bit retarded?"  As he continued to shovel more of the yummy goodness into the can, he said "I guess, kind of."  I wasn't satisfied, I needed him to know how completely ridiculous this was.  I needed him to understand that what his boss or whoever told him to this was an idiotic sociopath with zero common sense.  I leaned in and told him this and asked, "Do you really grasp this concept?  Do you understand the level of stupidity this is at?"  I think he understood because he was able to shake away a wisp of hair and nod.  To put it all into perspective, my 6 year old understands the concept of discarding food in front of children makes one an asshole.

What did I witness tonight?  I watched food that could have easily been donated to a shelter be thrown into a can...twice.  I watched two businesses basically tell a customer to go f**k themselves.  Did Server Jong-Il, Manager Hitler, or Teenage douche-canoe really think that doing a nice thing or the right thing was going to cause Satan to come riding in on dragon-headed horse through the ceiling and disembowel them all?  I'm
glad that these good local Kingsport businesses are hard at work not feeding any of the homeless or helping out the community in any way.  Forget my petty little wants, I can get over it even though I still think it's inconceivably absurd, but the fact that they can't take an extra step or two to not donate their food to the needy is unforgivable.

26 comments:

  1. Yea, you don't sound like a complete and total douche canoe yourself at all..

    ReplyDelete
  2. rules are rules.... no, they are not allowed to hand them out even if they throw them away and yes it's stupid but if the owner of the store or corporate was to do a late night check on employees following rules then they would lose their jobs.... yeah, giving your kid a cookie is worth more than that kids job ( who btw is in college and paying his own way so bravo to you for calling names because you didn't get a cookie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your wise input Captain Anonymous, I really value all that you've said. I know the American Cookie gestapo is on the prowl for people giving out cookies. Please, and the point is for the food to be donated instead of wasted, I don't care if I didn't get it because I'm not entitled to it. But for some corporate asshole to say that they would rather throw it away than give it to some one is ridiculous.

      Delete
  3. Why not make a call to corporate or the store manager id you disagree with their policies instead of calling the worker a "douche canoe"? Following the rules is what they are supposed to do even if they do not agree with them. Have you ever worked a day in food service? Perhaps you really should. Bravo to you Mr. Douchebag of The Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And bravo to you for being anonymous. And yes I've worked in the food service industry before and the company I worked for donated food all of the time. That was my point, not to give me the food because I was willing to pay but rather to donate it to a food bank or shelter or anything else other than a trashcan.

      Delete
  4. You sound like a real winner. I'm sorry that you don't believe the rules apply to you and that you like the belittle people. The fact that you badger people for doing their jobs and following the guidelines set out for them by their respective companies is ridiculous. Get off of your high horse and respect that these people are working to make lives for themselves. They could easily live off the government and you instead. I'm sorry your children had to witness such immature and offensive behavior - not by the restaurants, but by their father. Grow up, be a man, and set an appropriate example for your kids. After all, they could be that "douche-canoe" teenager someday if they end up anything like their dad. Please, give them the opportunity to be better than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you sound like a cunt. Of course the rules apply to me and I respect that they are working. I don't respect the fact that you can't read. My point was that it is willfully wasting food. I was willing to pay for the food, did you not get that part? I think that they should be donating the food to people in need. All dining establishments should do this. But you were obviously one of the chicks standing at the counter talking to the cashier kid, so I get the fact that you are taking up for him or whatever but don't take your jabs at me or my parenting. It would be like me saying, "I hope you never reproduce so. I would hate for there to be more cunts like you in the world" See that's hateful isn't it? Good thing I didn't actually say it like you did.

      Delete
  5. You truly are a douchebag yourself... sitting your kids in front of a cookie store 2 minutes before close expecting to be serviced and then feeling the entitlement you obviously felt you deserved makes you a massive cockjuggling thundercunt... policies are policies and risking ones job so you can get something free is not something I or most people would be willing to do. Plus, I have been by there several times at close and i have never seen the counter fully stocked 2 minutes before close...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Anonymous Pussy,
      Obviously you can't read either. We walked up to the cookie place and were told about it while my wife was sitting at the table eating. Also, it is not about losing some shitty job, it is about the willful waste that is being executed by these establishments. There is zero reason that they couldn't donate the food. I could give a shit if I got it, but they certainly shouldn't waste it.

      Delete
  6. SO, are you going to go after McDonalds, Burger King, and even Pal's? They all throw away their unsold food at the end of the night. Let's be honest, you are pissed you did not get your way so you feel the need to have a rant on your blog and throw it up on Facebook as well. Congrats, I am sure you feel like a great person now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that any food company that willfully wastes perfectly good food are cunts. I find it cute that you are telling me how I feel when I wrote it out pretty clearly how I feel. I don't really give a shit about them not giving ME free food, I'm not entitled to it, I'm pissed at the willful waste of it all. And for the record, I feel like a fucking awesome person now. Thanks Betty.

      Delete
  7. I think it's hilarious that several
    Of these comments were made by the little snot nosed kids that worked there last night. Might I add, I made $5.65 and hour while putting myself through a CNA program, then worked as a CNA for 6 years to be able to
    Go to college and become a nurse. So, when we sat in front of the cookie joint, with our kids, we thought it was odd the place closed a few minutes early. What was even more irritating was the tone in which this young kid spoke to my husband. He had ZERO respect. Then, we heard said kid and his cookie co-worker talking about us. These two little jerks also were so busy entertaining the 3 females that were there hanging out with them, that I don't see how they could count the register and close out for the night. And, one of the male workers told one of the 3 girls he couldn't give her cookies because our fat asses were sitting there and he had told us no. This had nothing to do with company policy. This had to do with two selfish little prep boys that were trying to spin some game with 3 little Barbie dolls. And I was sitting there eating bc my husband meet me there, where the only tables were near All Star Nails. Bottom line, this
    Company needs to evaluate who works for them and teach these teenagers to show some respect and to leave their horny crap at home. They are there to work. They also need to learn that when it's closing time,
    You close at the time the company claims to close. The guy lied about his register. We watche him count the drawer 10 minutes after he was done talking to the first 2 chicks that came by. Had we not of been sitting there,
    They wouldn't have dumped all that food and they probably would've been on top of these girls. Their actions,
    Public display and language were enough to ensure I, nor anyone in my family will be going back there. Who ever works for a company is a representation of the company. If I were the manager of The Gteat American Cookie Company at the Fort Henry Mall, in Kingaport, TN....I would be greatly concerned with the image these two punks are portraying. Same goes with PIcadIlly. And throwing food away that could feed homeless people or be donated for charity is far better than the homeless that probably stood outside last night to try to find something. I'm so glad our family owned business doesn't treat people like they are disposable and that we understand it's the quality of service and the food that keeps customers happy and returning. Maybe the guys from Italian Village should teach people how to service and work. Oh, and. It's not serving
    Someone if they walk to the counter,
    Point a finger and hand someone some money it's a 2 minute transaction in which we walked up to the cookie counter. To all you little smart ass brats that commented. We know who you are and thanks for proving our case about last night. You all proved just how much you talked about us and how the starting and snickering was noticed by our family. Just know, we were laughing at you all bc your lives are
    Going to suck when you finally realize you are not better than anyone! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Instead of writing a blog, call and inform the manager!That would seem to be more productive then going off in a blog would you not agree? I am sure that Italian Village throws away food also at the end of the night as well as these two resteraunts, would you agree with that also? As far as I know the only resteraunt in this area that gives their left-overs to charity is Panera Bread (who donates to Second Harvest). Everyone's clocks are different, 2 minutes...their clocks easily could have said 9. Try going to McDonalds or any other resteraunt after they have closed (even just a minute before) and I am sure you will be met with locked doors and refusal to serve.All I am saying is, if I was met with workers talking about me in a bad way, in front of me, I would call the manager and voice my outrage not just write a blog about it. Be productive! And name calling is not very mature, you go off about these workers calling you names and you and your husband resort to the same actions you are so angry about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get where you are coming from and yes I'm probably going to call corporate but look at what writing this particular blog has raised. If you look me up on Facebook, there is a long thread on my personal page talking about this and there is a decent sized one here.

      Delete
  9. Such immaturity and name calling. If stores gave away product or changed policy simply because it was near closing time people like you would show up every night to get their free hand out and never buy anything. Soon the store wouldn't be there anymore for you to enjoy complaining about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, maybe the teenager making minimum wage who just wants to go home for the night closed his draw 2 minutes early, according to your blog which I read all of. You're going to call him such hurtful names, get him in trouble and possibly fired over 2 minutes? How many minutes of your much more important and meaningful life have you wasted on this?

      Delete
  10. I understand this post COMPLETELY.
    I refuse to eat in their food court and I have worked fast food a time or two and know that shit has to be thrown out. HOWEVER, I also know that most employee's get to take their pick at what they want before tossing it out. POINTS AT MCDONALDS AND BURGER KING. If I go to KFC and they say "oh we're out of breasts for that meal" they best be willing to compensate for it to please me. Without customers they don't have a job. PERIOD. I don't care who disagrees with me. Those teenagers that worked there don't rely on that paycheck to pay their bills, therefore they don't care how they treat people. If they knew the value of an honest dollar, they would have a sweeter voice and a brighter smile. UH-HUM. I went to Taco Bell right before closing time once and they started going off on this big spill of what they didn't have. I assume they did this to get me to leave. Being the ass I am, I order something that I'd never ate before, smiled while watching them make it, and even waved at the closing manager who seemed pissed off that she had to recount the drawer she had closed. If you don't close until 9pm, your ass best be ringing me up. One to call to corporate is all it takes to bring some hell on any manager for closing up shop early and costing the business money. I'd call corporate. I say this because when I was working fast food, people always did it to me whenever my manager would close the window at 10:50 instead of 11 o'clock. We got in a lot of trouble for it. A LOT...So much so that we never closed early AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is hilarious Dusty....the point has totally been missed! Corporate America would just assume trash perfectly good food than to feed someone less fortunate....that goes to show the reality of our country today. It is a joke......the little punk kid at the cookie shop would do well to learn some manners before someone less respectful comes along and teaches him in a way he may never forget. Not everyone would tolerate such disrespect and ignorant behavior without smacking someone in the mouth. Teens today just do not understand what life really comes down to and the world has changed to the unfortunate place we now call home.....it is ashamed and I'm not surprised one bit. I hate that my children can not grow up in a world more like the one we did....where people were kinder and we all felt safer. On top of that all of these rude comments are posted by "anonymous" WTF? Why not have the guts to say who it is? You didn't hesitate to post your opinion and let everyone know its yours.....that my dear teens and kids.....is what a real man does.....speaks his mind and doesn't give a shit who likes it or not.....that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I seriously doubt the head honcho of the Cookie Company would've walked in there at closing time and chewed that girl's ass out. Get real. It's her fault to begin with. Her drawer should've been open. That should be the first clue for anyone. Why was her drawer closed if they don't close until 9pm? If they were doing their jobs right it wouldn't have been an issue. You wanted to pay for the cookie and because of her stupidity you couldn't. Seems like a reasonable argument to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is one of my strongest points at the moment. I was more than willing to pay for the cookies. Thank you for actually reading what I actually wrote and comprehending it.

      Delete
  13. Like she probably like couldn't punch in the like buttons like....Chews on gum. Like couldn't she like just give a like cookie, like...SARCASM.
    It's a damn cookie. A cookie. And she's gonna throw it away in front of a kid? A KID?
    And what's with all these comments about name calling. He called it like he saw it! If she'd been nice I bet he would've come up with something a little better like blonde buttercup or whatever. Really people? Yea, he called her a douche. If she didn't act like it he wouldn't have wrote this to begin with. She's a douche for throwing cookies away in front of kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josh. However, just for the record, it was a dude but your point is still valid and correct. It's also about the willful waste of it all. Give it to the homeless not the trashcan.

      Delete
  14. I can't tell who the adults are here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just for the record.. The kid that you are referring to is a straight "A" student. He is a good kid. Juggling full time school and a part time job is hard, and keep in mind, you were once a teenager yourself. By reading your blog, it sounds as though you havent matured much... Geeze.. Enough already!! Are you Paul Blart Mall Cop?!
    You dont know the kid personally, so stop with the name calling. Do you think anyone takes an adult serious that would call a kid a douche canoe?? Give me a break.

    ReplyDelete
  16. the point of this whole blog was that people waste food instead of donating it. all 3 of my sisters worked at chikfila in the 90s at the fhm and would come home with all kinds of left overs. nuggets, chicken sandwhiches, and salads were meals at home just about every other day. the food wasnt donated to charities but at least it served a purpose. me and my friends were in knoxville at a barro's and came up to the counter right before closin time. there was a lot of pizza left over that they were goin to trash and i asked them if they would discount some of it so it wouldnt be wasted. we walked away with a bunch of different kinds of slices that made up 1 whole pizza and paid half of what the cost normally would be. that should have been something picadilly should have offered. they were not givin it away or trashin it but sellin it at a discounted price to get rid of it and save it from a trash can. it pisses me off that so much food is wasted and there could be some other better endin for it. i worked at home depot and would constantly have to pull items that went to $0.01 because they had sat on the shelf for too long and nobody was buyin them so the company would get rid of the old stuff to try to get new stuff in that would sell better. the items had to be pulled off the shelf immediately and takin to the back where they would be trashed. some where buy backs that the vendor paid half price for to get them back, some were donated to whatever but a very good percentage of the stuff in good workin condition or brand new lookin are trashed. how stupid is that concept? all items if the vendor doesnt buy it back should be donated to habitat for hummanity or some other similar organization. this world is so wastefull and it makes me sick. and i had always wanted to contact corporate about that issue and now since i dont work there anymore i think i will do that monday. dusty, unfortunately that kid at the cookie company and people at picadilly are just doin what they have been told to do by the "higher ups". in order to start changin the wastefull ways of people you have to go to the higher ups. i suggest makin a phone call to both corporate offices about what they could do to prevent so much food from bein trashed. as far as the attitudes from the workers, talk to their store managers about their lack of respect and if that doesnt work go through the chain of command and speak with the district manager and so on until the problem is corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I get that wasting food is, well, wasteful, especially when there are multiple food pantries and homeless shelters in Kingsport. What I don't get is why an adult would act like a "douche-canoe" and publicly ridicule people who actually work for a living, who probably make minimum wage for their troubles, and who are constantly dealing with "douche-canoes" like yourself. Write your blog post about your bad experience, but leave the name calling out. What point is served by name calling? I sure hope that your children don't read your blog and were far enough away not to hear you ridiculing working people, because the only message they'll receive is that it's okay to call people names and make a scene in public. Your immaturity and lack of real perspective is the only point that shined through your "blog post." Congratulations on a failed entry. You would have been better-served to devote your energies to actually solving the problem: write a letter to the business owners encouraging them to donate their leftover food, volunteer with the homeless shelters, or hand out food in a soup kitchen.

    ReplyDelete