Sunday, August 28, 2011

VMA Awards Show should be moved to YouTube

I haven't watched MTV on any sort of consitent basis for several years.  I used to watch it so I could see the newest Guns N Roses video or see a live performance by Nirvana.  I loved Headbanger's Ball and Yo! MTV Raps but then a horrible creepy thing started happening.  We all blame the processed, scripted, unreality shows for the demise of MTV which is partly true but I put some of the biggest weight on a show that actually played videos:  Total Request Live or TRL for the hip kids.  This show was supposed to be one of the last shows on MTV that played music videos and one of the last shows I watched by the way.  It was supposed to be the Top 10 requested videos of the day with all kinds of screaming teenagers serving as the backdrop.  It happened that way for a good while too.  They played the videos, you saw who was #1, and that was it.  Good formula, right?  Nope, like any network, MTV took something that was working really well and decided to mess with it.  TRL started to show 30 second clips of videos and MAYBE the entire #1 video.  I remember when they first did this and I thought it was some sort of glitch, but I watched a few more times and apparently that was their new format.  I promptly stopped watching MTV.
VH1 was there for videos but then they started to find washed up, has been celebrities to put on their shows to find love like "Flavor of Love" and "Who wants Bret Micheals herpes?" and then worse still they started to make spinoff shows of the people who failed to get the "flavor" or "Bret Micheal's herpes".  Ultimately they stopped playing videos too.  The only time one can find "music" (and I use that term very loosely) being played on either station is really, really early in the morning for about 1 hour.  MTV used to be so cutting edge in bringing everyone new bands that they had never heard and videos that we will never forget.  Now we get "Jersey Shore" and "Celebrity Rehab". 
How can MTV still get the right to host a Video Music Awards show?  If they wanted to host a Unreality Awards Show, I would have no beef with that, at least it would be true to form.  But music videos??  Really??  If you ask yourself or just about anyone you know where they watch music videos, 99.997% will say YouTube.  YouTube is the only place I see videos anymore, I am amazed that artists still make videos because they damn sure aren't going to be played on TV anymore, its all online.  And perhaps that is the point, maybe we are moving past TV altogether.  Maybe TV is becoming what books where to my generation, maybe TV is for "old" people and the Internet is the only way now.  I am fine with that, I watch a lot of crap on the computer, but mainly because my kids take over the TV and watch whatever new teenager Disney has farted out sing about being in love with their best friends brother. 
I would just like MTV to be honest.  Change their name to URTV and do the Unreality Video Awards and call it a day.  Let YouTube take over the VMA's because at least then I wouldn't feel like I was being lied to.  And while we are on that, why would anyone take what MTV had to say about music serious anyway?  Going to MTV to find out about music is like going to a carnival worker wanting to know about molecular biology.  MTV knows nothing about music anymore, I would venture a guess that 90% of the people on MTV now would not know who James Brown or Janis Joplin were.  They would probably think James Brown is the father of the guy who beat up Rhianna, Chris Brown and Joplin was the woman who wouldn't move to the back of the bus.  MTV fired everyone that had any musical knowledge years ago.  The application for working there now includes the following question:  "Who was the lead singer of Nirvana?" and if you answer Kurt Cobain, you are automatically disqualified from the job.  MTV's lack of musical knowledge oozes all over the place now, just look who today's stars are:  Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber, some rapper who steals and makes a stupid dance, and I don't know who else.  I don't know not because I am out of touch, but rather because I don't know because I still have common sense and a set of ears that can tell me that these people are trying to take a dump in my ear cannal and call it music.

Ok, I'm done now.  And just in case anyone forgot what a music video is I have added some examples below and guess where I got them.....YouTube not MTV!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment