Saturday, July 16, 2011

There are no Scars to show for Happiness

I was looking at some quotes from my favorite author, Chuck Palauhniuk and he always has some great wisdom to give for just about any situation.  I came across one of my favorites and damn, if it isn't one of the truest things ever wrote.  He said, "It's so hard to forget pain, but it's even harder to remember sweetness.
We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace." 
I feel this way with a lot of things that happen in our lives from day to day, and time to time.  Its kind of like how a tornado can level a whole town to nothing but debris in a matter of moments and yet it can take months or even a year to fix the damage done.  Many aspects of life are like this, friendships, relationships, family matters, and parenthood.  A thousand moments of peace, sweetness, and happiness can be erased in a moment with a wrong word spoken, a moment of frustration, or a flash of anger.
I try to remember and hold onto those beautiful, peaceful moments.  I try to grasp them but they can quickly be pushed away with a giant scar of pain.  We always remember pain.  Not just physical pain, but emotional pain.  Physical pain can be healed, it is temporary, and it can usually be alleveated fairly easily.  Emotional pain, there is no true cure for.  You cannot put a band aid on it, you can't rub some ointment to make it go away, its there and it stays with you for a long time.  It scars you.  Sure you can numb the pain with chemicals and you can make it feel better for a few moments but it never heals.  It is always there staring at you like an ugly sore.
I wish that we had something to show for happiness.  Perhaps our own little beautiful scar, a mark of a happy moment.  But like Denis Leary said, "Happiness only comes in small doses."  It is so intangible, fragile,  almost untouchable.  Anything above a whisper and it can be gone.  The small quick bursts of anger or frustration are equated to a tornado to me, it decimates everything in an instant, left with only some small remanants and fragments of happiness to hopefully rebuild with.
Right now I feel like I am a lone survivor with a few tools to rebuild with, I am standing on the edge of pain looking over the horizon for happiness.  I can see it, but don't know where to start rebuilding at.  A million little fragments scattered about for me to put back together again.
Usually in my little blogs I try to be funny or poignant and sometimes absurd, but not tonight.  Tonight, I want to say that we need to hold onto those moments of happiness, hold onto them tightly, make a note, anything so that you don't lose sight of it.  No one wants to look inside and see the scars of pain and disappointment, but you do need to make sure and remember it and learn from it.  That is what those scars are for, for remembrance, for a learning tool of a time that you screwed up and hurt yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment